Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Tomato Orange Soup

As a 90% Portland native I can barely remember what life was like without Elephant's Tomato Orange soup.  It really became an addiction when I began working a half a block away from their Fox Tower location. This is when I started eating the soup 4 days a week for an undetermined (embarrassing) amount of time.  I will say that I do believe I love soup more than the average Joe, but nonetheless this soup is so full of amazing and developed flavors!  This was the first time I made it (and adapted it from this recipe) and we had large bowls of it with grilled cheese sandwiches to celebrate Halloween this year.  I am already fighting the urge to make it once a week, so beware!

Serves 4



The Ingredients

1/2 cup unsalted butter (1 stick)

1/2 medium onion, diced

2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans diced tomatoes

1 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon cracked black pepper

1/4 teaspoon baking soda

1/2 teaspoon dried thyme

1 cup orange juice

1/2 cup half n half

The Process
1.) In a saucepan, melt butter; add onion and saute until translucent. Add tomatoes, salt, pepper, baking soda and thyme. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer uncovered about 15 minutes or until slightly thickened.

2.) Puree in a food processor or blender.  Return to saucepan and stir in orange juice. At this point, the soup can be refrigerated until ready to serve.

3.) At serving time, add the half n half and heat gently, stirring constantly, bringing to a simmer and adjust seasonings if necessary.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment