Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Paleo Chicken "Parmesan" with Pesto Zucchini Noodles

Summers are always so so busy, but in the midst of it all I somehow find time to still blog once in a while.  Two weekends ago we went to a beautiful wedding out on a farm in Aurora, Oregon and had the most fabulous pit roasted pig.  That night ended with copious amounts of dancing and a campout in the woods.  Last weekend we went down to Eugene, Oregon to visit my boyfriend's family and they took me out to Thistledown Farm, a farm very similar to one you would find on Sauvie's Island near Portland, Oregon.  The farm had some of the most amazing looking shallots I had seen in a long time and lots and lots of tasty fresh corn.  I concluded my weekend by going to see Portland's major league women's soccer team the Thorns, and we won!!!  If you haven't attended a Thorns game yet I really suggest you do, I find them much more entertaining than the Timbers and they are a good price.  Onto food, I recently received a mandoline for my birthday and have been using it for all sorts of things from fries to "noodles."  Last night I decided I wanted chicken parmesan with zucchini noodles in order to use up all the large awesome zucchinis that my garden is producing.  I adapted this chicken parmesan recipe and created the pesto zucchini noodles on my own.  Enjoy!

Serves 2

The Ingredients
2 Chicken Breasts
1 ½ cups Almond Flour
2 Tbl Italian Seasoning
1 1/2 tsp Kosher Salt
2 tsp Black Pepper
2 Eggs
1/2 jar Marinara Sauce
2 cups zucchini noodles, shredded by mandoline or peeler
1 Tablespoon pesto
A couple fresh cherry tomatoes from the garden, sliced in half

The Process
1.  Preheat oven to 375 F & line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.

2. Pound out the chicken breasts to allow for even thickness throughout the cut.

3.  In a wide rim plate (i.e. pie dish), beat two eggs together.

4.  Mix the almond flour, seasoning, salt, and pepper together and lay out on a plate.

5.  Dip each piece of chicken in the egg wash first (both sides), then the dry batter (both sides, then repeat. This will allow for a nice thick crust.

6.  Lay the battered chicken on the baking sheet and bake at 375 F for ~35 minutes. Add more time if they don’t look crispy.

7.  In the mean time heat up your marinara and shred up your zucchini into noodles and cook for 4 minutes in a pan right before your chicken is done.  Then toss zucchini with pesto and add fresh tomatoes.

7.  Let the chicken cool for at least 5 minutes before you plate. Don’t fret if the bottom part of the batter sticks to the foil. Do your best to scrape it up with the chicken.  Plate the chicken, pour sauce over top and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment