Wednesday, November 18, 2015

Pork and Vegetable Soup

Portland's weather was pretty crazy last night and supposedly will be again tonight.  After my workout I was headed to my friend Becca's to hangout and make a warm fall soup when I hit a huge puddle I didn't see and it caused my battery to die, who knew that could happen?  Then on my way home from her house one of my windshield wipers just flew off out of nowhere, who knew that could happen either?  In other news I just read that Chris Kimball is leaving America's Test Kitchen which just breaks my heart.  If you haven't heard of this show you must check it out, it is all about food, cooking, testing, processes, etc.  I mostly listen to the podcasts at work while I'm working with data and his voice is just so comforting...sadness.  Anyway last night I hung out with my friend and finally met her adorable baby girl, then we put our heads together and came up with this delicious recipe.  Enjoy!

Serves 4

The Ingredients
1 lb ground pork
1 15-oz can of tomatoes
1 bunch of kale, chopped
1/2 of a large yellow onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 carrots, sliced
3 cups vegetable stock
1/2 teaspoon basil
1/2 teaspoon oregano
1/4 teaspoon cayenne
1/4 teaspoon paprika
2 tablespoons tamari
1 tablespoon bacon fat
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
Salt and pepper 
Canola oil



The Process
1.  In a large pot over medium high heat add olive oil and butter.  When hot add onions, pork, and carrots and saute for about 5 minutes.  Then add garlic, kale, and tomatoes.

2.  Cook for about 2 minutes and then add the stock.  Bring to a boil and then simmer.  While simmering add all spices, vinegar, bacon fat, and salt and pepper (to taste).

3.  Let simmer for about 10 minutes but make sure not to overcook the kale.  Serve up and eat!

No comments:

Post a Comment