Thursday, February 18, 2016

Steamed Spinach with Garlic Ginger Sauce

A couple nights in a row in New Orleans we ended up having dinner at a restaurant called Willa Jean, and they had a wonderful selection of southern comfort foods on their menu.  It was so hard to choose what to eat because everything looked delicious.  The first time we went here I couldn't resist the roasted beet salad and the grilled pimento cheese with roasted tomato soup (pictured below).  It was the most perfect meal to warm me up and heal me after a long day of work.  As you know from my other posts I am somewhat obsessed with pimento cheese and can't pass it up when it is presented to me.  You may also have noticed that I am obsessed with soup, soup is my favorite thing to eat...well besides beef tartare.  Anyway the second night that we went to Willa Jean I got the French onion soup and it was perfect.  The bread was wonderfully toasted and the cheese all super gooey...a part of me died it was so good (pictured below).  This restaurant also had very reasonable prices and great service, so if you find yourself in the area you should check it out.  But here I am back in PDX and it is dark outside and pouring rain...makes me want soup right now.  I am super happy though because today is my Friday because I took tomorrow off to head to the coast for the whole weekend!  We have a lovely bunch of 11 people going with us and lots of dogs, should be a blast.  Now the food, last night I created a delicious meal with my friend Sarah and here is the side dish that I adapted.

Serves 2-3

The Ingredients
1 pound spinach
3 teaspoons ginger, grated
3 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
2 teaspoon oyster sauce
2 teaspoon tamari
1 teaspoon sesame oil
1 teaspoon brown sugar
2 tablespoons chicken broth


The Process
1.  Bring water to a rapid boil in a pot with a steam basket.  Add cleaned spinach and let it cook for about 3 minutes or until steamed. 

2.  Remove from heat. Drain and rinse in cold water. Drain again.

3.  Divide spinach in a small flat-bottom bowls and squeeze out the remaining water by using your fist against the spinach. Flip bowl onto desired the serving plate respectively.

4. Now mix all the sauce ingredients together: ginger, garlic, oyster sauce, soy sauce, sesame oil, brown sugar, and chicken broth.  When mixed pour over mound of spinach and eat.


No comments:

Post a Comment