Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Banchan Korean Spinach Dish

Another creative way to use the same old ingredients.  Koren food is one of my favorites so full of flavor and very much so on the healthy side.  I am continually trying to replicate Koren, Vietnamese, Japanese, and Thai...and I will honestly say there have many successes and quite a few failures as well.  I also was able to use spinach fresh from the garden so I am sure that added to the delightful taste of this dish.  I always forget how much spinach shrinks up though...so this ended up being more of a small side dish, perhaps even a good appetizer.  This is the first new recipe I have made since grad school ended 4 days ago, and damn it feels good to be free!!!  I came up with this recipe after looking at multiple recipes on how to make Banchan, and all of them pretty much were the same.

Serves 2

The Ingredients
2 bunches fresh spinach
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 teaspoons sesame oil
2 teaspoons soy sauce
2 green onions, chopped
black sesame seeds (for garnish)

The Process
1.  In a small bowl mix together garlic, sesame oil, soy sauce, and green onions (this is the dressing).

2.  Next in large pot bring water to boil, when boiling add the 2 bunches of spinach and blanch for 30 seconds.

3.  After 30 seconds pour spinach into a strainer and pat and press with paper towels until spinach is relatively dry.

4.  To serve bunch about a 1/2 cup size on plate, dress with dressing, and garnish with black sesame seeds.

So tasty and healthy!

No comments:

Post a Comment