Thursday, March 22, 2012

Shakshuka

I have been wanting to make this dish for many years.  It is the most perfect and hearty vegetarian meal with so many wonderful flavors.  I adapted the recipe from this website and when I make it again there are some things I will change even more than I already did, but don't get me wrong this recipe is very good.  When I've had this dish at restaurants it is perfection, so saucy but chunky at the same time, this recipe definitely achieves this level.  And if you are living in Portland this is a perfect warm dish for our snowy nights that we are STILL having.  On an other note how was everyone's St. Patty's day? This is the first year in a long time that I didn't cook a single thing for the celebration, while at first I was a little sad about it I got over it quick because I attended a celebration that my boyfriend's family had and the food was AMAZING!  How did I forget how good slow cooked corned beef and cabbage are? yum!





Serves 4

The Ingredients
5 eggs
2 14oz cans of diced tomatoes with juice
1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
3 cloves garlic, pressed
1 red bell pepper, finely chopped
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon paprika
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
3 teaspoons sugar
1 tablespoon fresh Italian parsley, chopped
Olive Oil
Salt and pepper to taste


The Process
1.  Heat olive oil (about 1 tablespoon) in a large skillet over medium-high heat.  When hot add the onion and cook for about 5 minutes or until onions begin to soften.

2.  Then add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds.  Next add the red pepper and cook mixture for 7 minutes.

3.  Then add tomato paste, tomatoes, spices, and sugar (no salt and pepper yet).  Then let simmer over medium heat for 7 minutes.

4.  Then add salt and pepper to taste.  Next crack eggs one at a time over the mixture so that they all are spread out, around the edge of the pan and then one in the middle.  Cover and simmer over low heat for 10 minutes, if you want over easy simmer for less time.

5.  When done simmering sprinkle parsley over the top and serve.


No comments:

Post a Comment