Sunday, January 5, 2014

Broccoli Cheddar Soup

While Portland, Oregon is not being blasted with snow like the east coast we are still having cold weather which means soup is always a great dinner option.  When I made this recipe from this blog it was the midst of holiday shopping time which we all know gets more chaotic every year.  I came home after a long day and just wanted to focus on something simple, delicious, and utterly satisfying.  In an effort to make more dinners that are vegetarian friendly I slightly adapted the recipe noted above.  I also attempted to make homemade bread (in the picture below) but again it tasted like nothing at all.  I am not good at baking expect for making pies and some Holiday cookies...  If anyone has a good homemade sourdough or french bread recipe that doesn't require lots of kneading I would love to see it!  I want to become better at baking, though cooking will always be my number one passion.  Enjoy.

Serves 4

The Ingredients 
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
3 tbsp butter
1/4 cup flour
3 cups 2% milk
4 cups vegetable stock
2 1/2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, grated
4-5 cups of broccoli florets
Salt and pepper

The Process
1.)  Heat butter in a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the onions and sauté until tender.

2.)  Add flour, stir and cook for a few minutes. Slowly add milk and vegetable broth, stirring constantly until thickened. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

3.)  Add grated cheese and stir until melted. Add broccoli and mix thoroughly. Let simmer until broccoli is tender.

No comments:

Post a Comment