Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Ginger Chicken and Vegetable Soup

It is still summer how are my boyfriend and I sick?...He is definitely sicker than I am, so I decided to do the cooking and I'm making sure we flush all the bad stuff out.  We have been busy and going out of town for the last month and a half on fun adventures so I guess this was bound to happen.  Luckily we are staying in town this weekend and it also happens to be Pickle Fest 2014 with my mom.  Every year my mother and I (sometimes my aunt too) get together and make our secret batch of about 40lbs of pickles and it is by far one of my favorite things.  It appears that I forgot to post about Pickle Fest last year but here is a post from two years ago.  Onto my recipe it is healing and delicious, so whether you need it now or in the winter I hope it helps cure whatever ails you too.

Serves 5

The Ingredients
8 cups of vegetable broth

3 tablespoons of fresh ginger root, grated

4 garlic cloves, pressed

1 cup carrots, chopped

1 cup green beans, snapped in half

1 cup zucchini, chopped

2 cups cooked chicken breast

2-3 tablespoons lemon juice (I like things acidic)

2 tablespoon sriracha

1/2 teaspoon nature's seasoning (or any of your favorite simple spice mix)

3 tablespoons fresh chives, finely chopped

pepper to taste


The Process
1.  Add broth, garlic, ginger, carrots, and green beans to a pot and bring to a boil.  Then turn heat down to about medium (so that there is a rolling simmer).

2.  Add zucchini, lemon juice, nature's seasoning, sriracha, and pepper.  Let simmer over medium heat for about 15 minutes.

3.  Add pre cooked chicken and cook for about 5 more minutes (I like my veggies crunchy so if you don't cook longer).  Add chives and take off heat to serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment