Wednesday, May 25, 2016

Roasted Broccolini, Kale, and Chickpea Salad with Ricotta

Well now we are half way through the week and that means we are that much closer to a 3 day weekend which always makes me very happy.  It is also my father's birthday this weekend so I will get to eat well and celebrate with my wonderful family...and maybe for the last time at my childhood home since it is going on the market soon.  Got any fun Memorial Day plans?  I usually stay in town because everyone goes out of town and I don't want to fight for the last camping spot anywhere or an overcrowded beach.  Since my fiance goes on a men's trip every year I am going to go hangout with one of my best friends and we are going to get some kayaking in and perhaps a nice hike, hopefully the weather cooperates here in PDX.  I am also really excited because tomorrow evening one of The Portland Kitchen cohorts graduates and I get to go and see how happy they are and how proud of them we all are!  Anyway on with the food, I adapted this recipe several weeks ago and I was delighted with how filling and amazing it was.  Such a nice change of pace to have a meatless meal once in a while.  Enjoy!

Serves 4

The Ingredients
1 bunch broccolini, or broccoli, cut into long florets
1 bunch Tuscan or Lacinato kale, stemmed (if large) and torn
1½ cups cooked chickpeas canned, drained
2 clove garlic, thinly sliced
¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus for drizzling
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
pinch red pepper flakes
1 lemon, cut into wedges
8 oz fresh ricotta cheese


The Process
1.  Preheat the broiler to high. Toss the broccolini, kale, chickpeas, and garlic with the olive oil. Season lightly with sea salt, pepper and a pinch of red pepper flakes and divide between two rimmed baking sheets.

2.  Broil each sheet, tossing halfway through cooking, until the kale is crispy and the broccoli just tender and charred but still bright green, about 5 minutes, rotating the trays top to bottom if two don’t fit side by side in your oven. Squeeze the juice from two lemon wedges all over the top and toss together.

3.  Divide between two to four small plates and top each with a dollop of ricotta. Sprinkle the ricotta with black pepper and drizzle each plate with oil. Serve warm or at room temperature.

No comments:

Post a Comment