Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Butter Beans and Kale with Eggs

One weekend I woke up wanting to make this dish, it looked so hardy, warming and perfect for this rainy and cold Portland weather we have been getting lately.  I found this recipe (that I then adapted) on the Serious Eats blog and they never seem to disappoint me so I was determined to make it.  This stew like dish would have really been nice last week with all of the snow and me having strep throat...then again I wouldn't even have been able to swallow it.  I don't know if anyone out there is like me where every single year you get strep throat, if I am lucky that was hopefully the only time this year and every time it fully defeats me.  So eat this stew and don't get sick as hell like me.

Serves 4

The Ingredients
1 (15oz) can butter beans, rinsed
5 slices of fatty bacon, chopped up
2 (150z) cans chicken broth
1 bay leaf
1/2 teaspoon thyme
1 yellow onion, finely chopped
1 large carrot, chopped
1 rib celery, chopped
2 (15oz) cans of whole stewed tomatoes, chopped
4 cups kale, chopped
4 eggs, hard boiled
Salt and Pepper
Olive Oil

The Process
1.  In large saucepan, over medium high heat add olive oil.  When hot add onion, bacon, carrots and celery.  Cook for about 7-10 minutes or until everything softens.  Then add chicken broth, thyme, bay leaf, and a little salt and pepper.  Bring this mixture to boil and then reduce to simmer, and simmer for 45 minutes.

2.  Then add butter beans, tomatoes and kale.  Stir well and simmer for 20 more minutes.  During this time hard boil your eggs.

3.  After the 20 minutes the stew should be thicker and kale should be cooked down.  Add salt and pepper to taste.

4.  To serve, dish stew into bowl and cut hard boiled eggs in halves, serve each bowl with two halves and eat!

While this dish takes a bit of time it is so worth it in the end, so plan ahead and enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment