Thursday, February 27, 2014

Paleo Turkey Gravy

This paleo diet just keeps getting better and better! The fact that I can still make an amazing gravy without butter and white flour makes my world very happy.  I have read and been told time and time again that it is important to use almond flour, sweet potatoes and other starchy items in moderation and I believe I definitely am following that rule.  Still in my first 30 days I am kind of following the rule 85/15, paleo most of the time and cheating a little bit of the time.  I have only cheated in small ways at this point...a little Worcestershire sauce, a little brown sugar, and a little A-1 sauce.  I feel that real cheating would include pizza, mozzarella sticks, corned beef hash...and believe me pizza is the first on my list.  My plan is to continue for 30 days (and beyond) but I am a wholehearted cheese lover and will not give it up for life.  For me this adventure is all about flushing out my body and reintroducing moderation with the dairy and grain products in my life.  Anyway here is your wonderful paleo turkey gravy!  I adapted this recipe and forgot to take a picture of just the gravy so here is a delicious picture of the gravy poured over my scrumptious turkey leg.

6-8 Servings

The Ingredients
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
3 tablespoons turkey pan dripping
2 cups Chicken Broth
1/2 cup Almond milk (unsweetened)
3 tablespoons Arrowroot powder
1 turkey neck and giblets, cooked (boil for one hour and chop up)
Salt and pepper to taste

The Process
1.  In a heavy weight medium sauce pan over medium heat, warm the onion powder for a few seconds.

2.  Add the chicken broth to the saucepan.

3.  Stir in the pan drippings and combine well.  Bring this to a boil.

4.  Meanwhile measure the almond milk in a 1 cup measuring cup, arrowroot, and turkey neck / giblets.  Stir a make a smooth slurry.

5.  Stir the slurry into the hot broth.  Reserve a little slurry for extra thickening.  Continue stirring to combine.

6.  When the gravy thickens, remove it from the heat source.

7.  Add salt and pepper to taste and stir and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment