Monday, May 26, 2014

Braised Chicken with Artichokes and Onions

The last month has been pretty busy with BBQ's, birthdays, and starting a new job therefore the blogging  has been a little slow.  I am still following the paleo diet about 75% of the time, the biggest challenge is how much prep time the paleo diet requires.  You are always cooking, which I do love but it isn't always conducive to my schedule.  Since Spring is in full force here in PDX our garden is already getting little sprouts and I can't wait to constantly have fresh produce.  This recipe is adapted from Nom Nom Paleo who never disappoints,  it takes some time but is worth every ounce of energy.  Note I added a little more vinegar than the recipe says but I will say vinegar is one of my favorite ingredients.  It feels nice staying in town for Memorial day weekend plus tonight we are celebrating my father's birthday with pork ribs from Gartner's, if you haven't been to this place you really need to check it out.

Serves 4

The Ingredients
3 pounds of chicken drumsticks
2 tablespoons of nature's seasoning
Kosher salt
Freshly ground pepper
2 tablespoons olive oil
12 oz bag of frozen artichoke hearts
1 medium yellow onion, chopped
6 cloves of garlic, peeled
¾ cup chicken stock
3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar

The Process
1.) I dumped the chicken in a bowl and tossed it with Nature's seasoning, two large pinches of salt, and a few cranks of black pepper.  I placed the bowl in the fridge to marinate for a minimum of 1 hour.

2.)  When I was ready to cook the chicken, I preheated the oven to 325 F and I heated the olive oil over medium-high heat in a large 12–inch oven-safe skillet fitted with a lid.  I fried the drumsticks in two batches until they were browned all over.


3.)  Then I threw in the onions, artichokes, and garlic.  Once the veggies had some color, I poured in the broth, tucked the chicken back into the skillet and sprinkled on the vinegar.

4.)  I brought the sauce to a boil, put on the lid, and popped the skillet in the oven for 45 minutes. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment