Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Onion and Parsley Salad

Life has been a whirlwind lately...last weekend my plans to go apple picking got canceled because my poor grandpa is not doing well.  Not sure if any of my readers have lost someone very dear to them but at this age I assume you have.  My grandpa at the ripe age of 91 is now on hospice.  About only two weeks ago he actually told me to my face that he was ready to go, while it was hard for me to hear, it was also comforting to know that he is prepared and welcoming the next step.  With that said I have been working on being positive and celebrating his amazing and long lived (still living) life.  Last time I saw him he was barely able to talk but managed to playfully make fun of my dad... my grandpa will forever be a jokester.  This weekend I am headed to Cannon Beach, OR with 5 of my very close friends so hopefully I can find some peace in our trip.  It will be full of funny dogs playing in sand and delicious meals.  Speaking of delicious meals last night I created a great one, I paired this amazing Lebanese salad with bacon wrapped chicken.  Enjoy!

Serves 3

The Ingredients
1 medium onion, thinly sliced

1/4 cup fresh mint leaves, minced

1 1/2 tablespoons red wine vinegar (or 3/4 teaspoon sumac)

salt & black pepper, to taste

2 cups fresh parsley leaves, roughly chopped

generous pinch cumin

1 tablespoon lemon juice

1 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil


The Process
1. In  a large bowl, toss onion with mint leaves, red wine vinegar (or sumac), salt, and black pepper. Allow to rest for 10 minutes, ’til the onions soften slightly.

2. In a small bowl, mix the parsley, cumin, and lemon juice with a fork. Stir with the fork and slowly add the olive oil, stirring while you drizzle so the dressing emulsifies a bit. Pour the dressing over the onions and toss gently with a wooden spoon to combine.

No comments:

Post a Comment