Monday, October 13, 2014

Tomato Basil and Beef Soup

In my last post I was talking about the health of my grandpa, I'm sad to say that we lost Melvin Anthony Cordie at 12:30am early Friday morning.  He went peacefully and had people he loved surrounding him.  It has been really hard for all of us to process as we just lost the patriarch of the family.  After spending the whole day in Hood River, OR looking at photos and reminiscing about his life I was lucky enough to get away to the coast for the weekend for some much needed reflection.  Today is my first day back at work since the event and it is definitely proving to be difficult so I am blogging to try and distract myself from reality.  I adapted this recipe a while ago but it is a great soup if you need a soul healing meal.   As we are heading full force into fall just remember that every season brings a lot of change and try and appreciate everyone and everything you have.


Serves 4

The Ingredients

30 ounces diced tomatoes

1 cup coconut milk, canned (full fat)

1 Tablespoon coconut oil

1 cup onion, diced

1 pound ground beef

3 cloves garlic, minced

1 teaspoon salt

1 cup chicken broth

1/8 cup pesto



The Process
1.  Add diced tomatoes and coconut milk to a blender and blend until smooth.

2.  Heat a large stockpot over medium-high heat. Add coconut oil and saute onions until translucent. Add ground beef and cook until brown. Drain fat.

3.  Stir in minced garlic and salt. Pour in tomato/coconut milk mixture, chicken broth, pesto. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to simmer 10-15 minutes. Serve and enjoy.

 
I love you Gramps!
This is a very old and wonderful picture of the two of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment