Monday, December 29, 2014

Piselli al Prosciutto (Sweet Peas with Prosciutto)

What a wonderful long holiday weekend we had, so much family, friends, and delicious food!  On Christmas eve we went over to my Uncle's house for the extended family potluck dinner and I made this recipe from Saveur, it was delectable.  Then on Christmas my father made a 14 pound prime rib roast that was cooked to perfection, as in still bloody just the way I like it.  This hunk of meat was accompanied by creamy horseradish, Yorkshire pudding, a dish we call Cal's potatoes (shredded potatoes, sour cream, cheese, green onions, etc.), and balsamic glazed brussels sprouts.  After a wonderful couple days with my family in PDX we traveled down to Eugene, OR to visit with my boyfriend's parents where we laid around in our pjs, watched movies, and cooked more amazing food.  His parents purchased an entire ham from Voget Meats and it was one of the best hams I've ever had, definitely check this place out if you are looking for some fine meats.  And lucky me I got to take the ham bone home, so tonight I'm going to make a ham bone broth and use it to make a tasty white bean and ham soup for New Year's Eve.  This year will be the first time ever that we are staying home on New Year's Eve and I can't wait!  I hope you enjoy this dish, I purchased prosciutto from Whole Foods at $26 a pound...and it was some of the most delicious I have had in a while, so I suggest going for quality meats in this recipe.  The simplicity of flavors in this recipe is what makes it so satisfying.

Serves 4

The Ingredients

¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil

2 oz. prosciutto, roughly chopped

small white onion, minced

1 lb. fresh or frozen green peas

Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste


The Process

1. Heat oil in a 12" skillet over medium heat. Add prosciutto and onions; cook until onions are soft and prosciutto begins to crisp, 6–8 minutes.

2. Add peas and 1 tbsp. water; cook, tossing, until hot, about 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.

No comments:

Post a Comment