Thursday, April 16, 2015

Braised Celery

Every week I get more and more excited for our upcoming European adventure.  The other day I came across an interesting list of new restaurants to try in France.  I like the concept because everyone always writes about the older restaurants, and don't get me wrong I will definitely go to those but this article displays a refreshing concept.  In other foodie news I have been looking into some cooking classes to explore the world of foods I don't know as well, like breads, cheeses, ethnic cuisines, etc.  I found this great place (Portland's Culinary Workshop) that has all sorts of variety including a dumpling day where you make dumplings from around the world, yum!  On a completely different topic this Friday I am headed to the Portland Art Museum with my mom and aunt for what will hopefully be an awesome exhibit.  They exhibit is suppose to be a glamorous and comprehensive look at Italian fashion from the end of WWII to present day.  Onto the food, I adapted this recipe and paired it with the Lebanese Beef Kefta Kebab and it was delicious.

Serves 2

The Ingredients
8 stalks of celery, scrubbed and ends trimmed (chop and reserve leaves)
1 tablespoon butter
Pinch of salt and freshly ground black pepper
½ cup of vegetable stock


The Process
1.  Cut celery into 1-inch slices on the diagonal.

2.  Heat butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add celery, along with salt and pepper and cook until it starts to become tender.

3.  Add broth, reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 5 minutes. Uncover and cook for 5 minutes longer, allowing the broth to reduce caramelize a bit.


4.  Taste for seasoning and serve immediately, garnished with reserved chopped leaves

No comments:

Post a Comment