20-24 Button Mushrooms
1 large Onion, finely chopped
2 large Tomato, thinly sliced or chopped
½ tsp Ginger-Garlic Paste (grated ginger and pressed garlic)
2 tsp Sugar
½ tsp Cumin Seeds
1 tbsp Oil
For yogurt marinade:
1 cup whole fat plain yogurt
½ tsp Turmeric Powder
½ tbsp Coriander Powder
½ tsp Cumin Powder
1 tsp Red Chilis
½ tsp Ginger-Garlic Paste
Salt to taste
1. First prepare the yogurt marinade by whisking the yogurt to remove any lumps. Add all the spice powders listed above in the list along with ginger-garlic paste and salt to taste. Keep it aside till needed.
2. Clean the mushrooms and cut them in half or quarters depending on the size of mushrooms.
3. Place all the chopped mushrooms in a large bowl and pour yogurt marinade to it. Gently mix them all using fingers so that every individual mushroom piece is coated with the marinade. Keep it aside covered with a cling film for 15-20 minutes for all the flavours to blend well.
4. Heat oil in a pan and add cumin seeds to it. When cumin seeds start to sizzle and change colour, about 30 seconds, add finely chopped onions to it. Sauté the onion till it turn golden, about 3 minutes, on medium flame.
5. Add ginger-garlic paste and sugar and fry them till the raw smell disappears, about 2 minutes.
Mix in thinly sliced tomatoes and cook them till they turn pulpy and release their juice, about 3 minutes.
6. Add marinated mushrooms and fry them till they start to release their juice. Cover and let them cook for 5-10 minutes, mixing them in between, till they are cooked thoroughly.