Thursday, June 4, 2015

Leek and Blue Cheese Soup

Happy National Cheese Day everyone!  Here is a fun infograph that talks about the benefits of cheese, so go right ahead and eat all the cheese!  And what better to write about than the delicious cheesy soup I made last night.  While it is a beautiful warm day in PDX today, yesterday was gloomy and rainy which inspired me to make a comfort soup and watch hours of The X-Files.  In other news this is my last week of my accounting class, which means I take my final exam next week and I'm done!  I am looking forward to a summer with no homework, woohoo!  It is suppose to be a beautiful and warm weekend here in the Pacific Northwest so I hope people get outdoors and enjoy it.  One thing that might help motivate you is that for this weekend only you don't have to have a fishing license to fish in both Oregon and Washington, so get out fishing! One more piece of random entertainment before I get to the recipe, if you still haven't checked out Kachka here is a video giving you insight on how the restaurant operates, enjoy!  I adapted this recipe.

Serves 4-5

The Ingredients
3 large leeks
1/3 cup butter
4 ounces crumbled blue cheese
2 tablespoons almond flour
1 1/2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon black pepper
6 cups vegetable broth/stock
½ cup diced scallions
Cottage cheese (optional)


The Process
1.  Slice leeks thinly, width-wise. Over medium heat, melt the butter in a large soup pot. Saute the leeks for 10-15 minutes.

2.  Add the blue cheese to the pot, stirring until the cheese is melted. Then add the almond flour, stirring constantly until absorbed. Mix in the mustard and black pepper.

3.  Add the vegetable broth and turn heat to high. Stir until soup comes to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 15 minutes.


4.  Serve with scallions as a garnish.  I also added 1/2 cup cottage cheese to my bowl which gave the semi-thin soup more substance.  You could easily add potatoes or chicken or mushrooms to this soup to make it more hearty.

No comments:

Post a Comment