Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Mushroom Lentil Tacos with Tahini Yogurt Sauce

I can't even begin to describe how absolutely delicious these tacos were, I could easily eat them once a week and they were very filling.  I adapted this recipe one night when I was cooking dinner just for me and to my delight I found one of my new favorite recipes.  In cooking news my wonderful friend has started on a new adventure with a cooking blog that documents his exploration of the Jewish religion and culture through food, check it out at Challah Back Kitchen.  Last night I went to a wonderful event, the official opening of the PNCA Library where I met up with many of my wonderful library science friends.  If you haven't checked out their new library it is a must see, not to mention their magazine collections is phenomenal!  With my European vacation getting near I finally made my dinner reservation for one of the most amazing restaurants, Dill.  This is a restaurant in Iceland that forages the land to create amazing meals.  Earlier this year I read a book by the restaurant owner which featured recipes and stories of where their ingredients come from.  I can't even begin to explain how excited I am getting for this amazing two week trip.  Onto the recipe.

Serves 2-3

The Ingredients

For the filling:

1 cup cooked lentils
2 1/2 cups chopped cremini mushrooms
3 medium cloves garlic, minced
Olive oil
1 1/2 teaspoons cumin
Salt and pepper
Pinch paprika

For the sauce and assembly:

1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
1/4 cup tahini
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 individual container Greek yogurt (6 ounces)
Salt and pepper
2 big handfuls of arugula
6 corn tortillas


The Process
1.  Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add mushrooms, season with salt and pepper, and cook down until brown and fragrant, stirring occasionally, about 8 minutes.

2.  While the mushrooms are cooking, mix the yogurt sauce. Add the lemon juice, tahini, yogurt, and olive oil to a bowl and stir to combine.  This will make more than enough for your tacos.

3.  Remove mushrooms from pan and set aside. Pour 2 more tablespoons olive oil into the same large pan and reduce heat to very low. Add cooked lentils, garlic, cumin, and a sprinkle each of salt, pepper, and paprika and stir, heating the grains through. Add the mushrooms back to the pan and mix to combine.

4.  Assemble tacos: For each one, you need: a warmed tortilla, a small spread of yogurt sauce, a few spoonfuls of the mushroom and lentil mixture, a pile of arugula, and then a real dollop of sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment