Friday, December 18, 2015

Tomato "Bruschetta" with Tuna and Cannellini Salad

TGIF!  So happy it is Friday, I feel like the last two months at work have been harder than usual but it is almost Christmas and that is all that really matters!  Tonight I get to make cookies and candies with a good friend of mine which we are trying to make a tradition since I am not much of a baker and it is a fun festive activity.  Then tomorrow I have some shopping left to do but in the evening I am going to The Nutcracker with my mom and aunt.  My mom and I have gone almost every year since I was a child and it is one of my favorite holiday events, especially since I did ballet for 11 years.  I often miss ballet but it helps that I do Zumba and take African dance classes here and there.  Now let's talk food, last night I adapted this recipe and it is one I made years ago and it is still as delicious as I remember it.  Enjoy!

Serves 4

The Ingredients
6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
Finely shredded zest of 1 lemon
3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon honey
3 tablespoons chopped chives
1/4 cup flat-leaf parsley leaves, plus more for garnish
1 can (15 oz.) cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
2 cans (5 oz. each) tuna, preferably packed in natural juices, drained and broken into chunks
4 green onions, thinly sliced
8 thick slices large heirloom tomatoes (Marianna's Peace are especially tasty)


The Process
1. In a medium bowl, whisk together oil, lemon zest and juice, salt, pepper, honey, and chives. Add parsley leaves, beans, tuna, and onions and stir gently just until coated.

2. Arrange tomato slices on 4 plates and spoon tuna mixture on top, dividing evenly. Top each salad with a few parsley leaves if you like.

No comments:

Post a Comment