Monday, January 4, 2016

Caprese Chicken with Pesto and Balsamic Reduction

How were your holidays?  I can't believe they are over already, and today I thought I would be back to the grind but an ice storm decided to hit PDX over the last two days and I have yet another day off.  So I have finally begun putting away Christmas stuff and catching up on my blog writing.  Every January my fiancé and I take the month to cleanse our bodies by eating extra healthy, not drinking, and working out as much as possible so that is how we are starting off 2016.  I have a lot of hopes and goals for this year but the top one on our list is to buy a house.  We have barely begun the process but this week we will take another step in educating ourselves to make this dream a reality.  I have a good feeling about 2016 and can't wait for what it holds.  I am proud to say that in 2015 I wrote 99 blogs posts which is my biggest year yet, here is to many more in 2016!  I adapted this recipe and it is extremely delicious and a wonderful primal recipe. Enjoy!

Serves 4

The Ingredients
1 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
1.2 teaspoon dried oregano
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
4 bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs
1 tablespoons unsalted butter
4 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, cut into 4 slices
1 Roma tomato, sliced
1/4 cup pesto

For the balsamic reduction:
1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
2 tablespoons brown sugar, packed


The Process
1.  Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
   
2.  To make the balsamic reduction, add balsamic vinegar and brown sugar to a small saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a slight boil and reduce by half, about 6-8 minutes; set aside and let cool.
   
3.  In a small bowl, combine olive oil, basil and oregano; season with salt and pepper, to taste. Using your fingers or a brush, work the mixture onto both sides of the chicken.
   
4.  Melt butter in a large oven-proof skillet over medium high heat. Add chicken, skin-side down, and sear both sides until golden brown, about 2-3 minutes per side; drain excess fat.
   
5.  Place into oven and roast until the chicken is completely cooked through, reaching an internal temperature of 165 degrees F, about 25-30 minutes. Top each chicken with some pesto and mozzarella cheese. Then broil for 2-3 minutes, or until the cheese has melted completely.
   
6.  Serve immediately, topped with tomatoes, drizzled with balsamic reduction and garnished with a little pesto, if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment