Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Tomato Corn Salad

You can thank my graduate school for separating me from one of the only things I love more than life......food and cooking it.  For some details my cohort and I are all struggling to put together 12 source annotated bibliographies....not fun at all.  Anyways on to food (the thing I love)....last thursday night I gave myself a break from life and asked my mother if I could go come up to her house make her dinner and watch the blazer game.  So the obvious answer was yes so I made these next two items, and yes they tasted great together!

Serves 4
Adapted from Sunset

The Ingredients
3 ears sweet corn
1 pound tomatoes, diced
1/2 cup red onion, finely chopped
1 1/2 tablespoons rice vinegar
1/4 fresh basil, finely chopped
1 1/2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
Salt and Pepper

The Process
1.  Cut kernals off raw corn cobs and put in medium bowl.  Add tomatoes and red onion and stir.

2.  Toss with vinegar, oil, basil, and salt and pepper to taste.

This is seriously an amazing and fresh tasting salad, also a good way to use up corn when it is so cheap you have to buy lots of it.  Here are some awesome nutrition facts as well, might I mention that I added the olive oil to the recipe so that will change things a little but really its olive oil, its good for you, get over it!

Calories:58g, Fat:0.8g, Carbs:13g, Protein:2.3g, Fiber:2.4g

Picture from: http://www.sunset.com/food-wine/kitchen-assistant/fresh-summer-corn-recipes-00400000044682/page10.html

No comments:

Post a Comment