Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Stuffed Acorn Squash

I have made these scrumptious squashes two times now and each time they seem to get better and better.  The recipe is very loosely based off of  an npr stuffed pumpkin recipe, but this one is ten times better.  These delicious acorn squashes were originally made by my lovely friend Jovan and I in her kitchen, since then I have changed a few things but not much.  This meal is relatively healthy besides the amount of cheese, but you are more than welcome to lessen it, I just know I always want lots of cheese because I don't eat it half as often as I use to.  The second time I made this recipe it was for my lovely friend Bethany (ie Beefy) and after eating we played that awesome new game system kinect.  So I will say this recipe is officially created by Kirsten (me) and Jovan.





Serves 4

Ingredients
2 acorn squashes, cut in halves
1 1/2 tablespoons fresh thyme, chopped
4 green onions, chopped
2 1/2 (about) slices of sourdough bread, torn into bite size pieces
1/4 pound gruyere cheese, chopped into little bite size pieces
4 strips of any type of facon (veggie bacon), cooked and broken into pieces
1/2 tablespoon salt
4 cloves garlic, pressed
1/2 tablespoon black pepper
4 big leaves of swiss chard, chopped
3 cups (or as much as you want) of milk

The Process
1.  Turn oven onto 350 degrees.  Cut acorn squashes in half and put in glass dish, sprinkle with water and cook for about 30 minutes or until squash is starting to get tender.

2.  Mix in large bowl thyme, green onions, sourdough bread, gruyere cheese, facon, salt, garlic, pepper, swiss chard, and milk.

3.  When squash is getting tender pull out of oven and stuff to the max. each half with the bowl mixture.  Then pour any left over liquid equally into the squash halves.

4.  Put the stuffed squash back into the oven for another 30mins or until the squash is tender enough to eat and the tops of the stuffing is browned.

Note: Depending on how hot your oven is you may want to turn up the temperature to 375 or 400 if cooking is taking too long.

We accompanied this lovely meal HUB's new winter ale, yum yum!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment