Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Blackberry Peach Crisp

So on Sunday evening after making pickles all day it was time to go out back and harvest the garden, we picked a ton of peas, green beans, and the wild blackberries that are worming their way over and through the fence.  With fresh blackberries and several peaches in the fruit bowl I decided it was that time of year to start making crisps, cobblers, and pies and every type of baked good that has fruit in it, so I decided on blackberry peach crisp.  I looked at several recipes and kind of combined them to create this recipe...and I will admit from the beginning that the top crunch layer was not thick enough because I used too much butter and not enough flour, so the recipe below adds additional flour to avoid what happened to my crisp.  I will say though that I easily fixed the need for crunchy goodness by sprinkling some honey-nut Cheerios over the top and yes it was very good!  So here is my first blackberry item of the season and hopefully not my last.

Serves 9ish

The Ingredients
2 full cups fresh blackberries
2 medium peaches, skinned and cut into cubes
2 tablespoons quick tapioca
1 cup white sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 lemon squeezed for juice
1/3 cup butter, room temp
2/3 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 cup old-fashion oats

The Process
1.  In medium bowl gently mix together blackberries, peaches, tapioca, white sugar, and lemon juice and set aside.

2.  In another medium bowl thoroughly mix together butter, whole wheat flour, brown sugar, and oats.

3.  Turn on oven to 350 degrees, and lightly grease a glass 9x9 pan.

4.  Pour in berry and peach mixture into baking dish and then crumble (in large chunks) the oat mixture over the top of the berries and peaches.  Put in oven for 25-30 minutes or until berry mixture is bubbling and the crisp on the top is slightly browning.

And don't forget yours will look better because I changed the recipe after my mistake...oh and why did I think I could just make up my own recipe when it's baking?! I never make pretty baked goods,they always taste good, but they are never pretty....well except for my blackberry pies...I should make that next!

No comments:

Post a Comment