Monday, September 12, 2011

Pork au Poivre

...in other words amazing.  I turn to cooking for many reasons, creativity, outlet, satisfaction, and because I love to cook for others.  Lately this whole job search has been weighing on my spirit, while yes I only graduated with my master's 2 days shy of a month ago I do need to start expanding my horizons.  I need to be investing more time searching for jobs in other fields as well...with all of this in mind and uncertain change on the forefront I had a very reflective weekend.  So I turned to cooking, to comfort, sooth, and maintain something I know so well.  As part of a goal to keep things positive and feel good I am once again creating and eating very healthy meals, with less and less "fat kid recipes" and the dreaded baking.  This recipe is adapted from Cooking Light and is absolutely delightful.

Serves 3

The Ingredients
3 3-ounce pork chops, or pork loin
1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup chicken broth, (better than bouillon)
1/2 cup dry red wine
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon tomato paste
1/4 teaspoon salt
Cooking spray for skillet

The Process
1.  Turn on Grill to medium heat (or you can do this part in the oven, follow the original linked recipe for those instructions.

2.  Put a medium pan over medium high heat on the stove top and spray generous about of cooking spray in pan.  While this is heating pepper the pork chops.

3.  When pan is hot add pork chops and cook each side for 2 minutes.  When done put pan aside and put the pork chops on the grill for a total of 12 minutes, flipping after 6 minutes.

4.  While chops are grilling take the pan with pork juice remnants and put over high heat and add wine, broth, Dijon, tomato paste, and salt.

5.  Bring to boil while whisking continuously and boil for about 1 minute.  Then reduce heat to medium and keep whisking for about 4 minutes until sauce is smooth and thickens (should be about a 1/2 cup reduced).

6.  Serve pork with sauce over the top and enjoy the tangy sensation!

Nutritional Facts: (per serving)
Cal:162; Fat 5.7g; Sat Fat1.3g; Protein 24.5g; Fiber.5g


No comments:

Post a Comment