Monday, October 3, 2011

French Onion Soup

During this cold and rainy weekend I needed to do something that I love (ie cook) and make something that would warm me up and make it feel like Fall time.  The pains of life are getting to me a little again with all this rainy weather, and me being at one of the biggest transition points in my entire life...  It's all just pretty scary and stressful not knowing where and what I will be doing two months from now, how I will be making money, how successful I will be and so on.  But on the bright side I  can cook and feel some solidarity in that.  So here is a recipe to make when you just don't quite know what to do or think.  Created by yours truly.

Serves 5

The Ingredients
4 tablespoons butter
3 large sweet onions, thinly sliced
5 cups chicken broth
1 10.5oz can of beef consomme
1 14.5oz can of beef broth
1/2 cup red wine
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
1 bay leaf
Salt and Pepper to taste

The Process
1.  In a large sauce pan over medium-low heat melt butter.  When melted add all the onions to the pan and turn heat to medium.


2. Saute these onions in this pan for about 40 minutes or until caramelized and slightly syrupy.

3.  Next add all the other ingredients which includes chicken broth, beef broth, beef consomme, red wine, Worcestershire, thyme, parsley, bay leaf and salt and pepper.  Mix and bring to a boil.

4.  Once soup reaches a boil turn down to simmer for another 40 minutes.  Then serve! I served it with toasted sourdough with provolone cheese on top.



No comments:

Post a Comment