Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Golden Beets with Garlic Yogurt Sauce

I love beets!  If you are not a beet lover I do understand though, when I was a child beets would literally make me gag!  I swore that beets tasted like soap and that they were THE worst vegetable out there... funny how taste buds change.  Speaking of taste buds here is an awesome taste bud chart my lovely friend Turner shared with me.  This beet recipe once again plays into the the lovely Fall time theme of most of my creations lately, and once again it was a very hearty and filling side dish.  I served the beets with zucchini pancakes (recipe soon to come).

Adapted from Butterflyfood
Serves 4

The Ingredients
4 large golden beets, sliced 1/4 inch thick
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
Salt and Pepper to taste

Sauce:
1 cup plain yogurt
2 cloves garlic, pressed
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 green onion, finely chopped
Salt and Pepper to taste

The Process
1.  Turn oven to 425 degrees.  Grease large cookie sheet.

2.  In medium bowl toss together beets, 2 tablespoons olive oil, vinegar, salt and pepper.

3.  Once beets are fully coated place them in a single layer on cook sheet and roast in oven for about 25 minutes, or until tender.

4.  In the mean time in a small bowl combine yogurt, garlic, 1 teaspoon olive oil, green onion, salt and pepper.  Mix well and put in fridge until ready to use on beets.

5.  When beets are ready, take out of oven and let cool for 5 minutes.  Then serve with dollops of yogurt sauce.

And yes those are the zucchini pancakes on the plate too!

No comments:

Post a Comment