Friday, November 9, 2012
Whiskey & Apple BBQ Sauce
3 medium Fuji or Gala Apples
1/3 cup brown sugar
4 cloves garlic, pressed
1 1/2 shots whiskey (I used old crow)
1/2 cup cider vinegar
2 cups water
1 tablespoon sunflower oil
1/8 cup Worchestire sauce
1/8 cup tomato paste
a little ketchup (optional)
Salt and pepper to taste
1) Peel and chop the onions finely.
2) Put the saucepan on the hob and heat to a medium heat with the sunflower oil inside.
3) Fry the onions gently until they are soft. This does take a while but you’re better taking your time here. It normally takes me about 10 minutes until they are soft.
4) Peel and core the apples then chop into chunks. You don’t need to chop them finely as they break down easier than the onions. Add apples to the saucepan and stir well for another 5 minutes.
5) Pour in the whiskey and brown sugar. Stir well until you get a dark brown sticky sauce.
6) Finally add the cider vinegar, water, tomato paste, Worchestire sauce, garlic, ketchup, and salt and pepper.
7) Put the lid on the saucepan, bring the sauce to a slow simmer and leave simmering for 1 hour.
8) After 1 hour it is ready to use immediately.
If you want to keep it for another day pour into a sterilise jar and seal once cool then refrigerate.