Makes about 30
Day 2: (about 4 hours)
1. Rinse corn husks and drain well.
2. Add just enough broth (only a few tablespoons) to just moisten the meat. Taste and check seasoning. If somewhat bland, add more cumin and chili powder. You may need to add a little more broth.
3. To make masa mixture, combine masa, lard, baking powder, and salt and stir.
4. Then add the cooking water and mix. Next add the lard and mix until dough is slightly sticky.
5. Watch this video to learn how to assemble, we also took little strips of corn husk and tied them around the tamales to secure them.
6. We steamed them (over a vegetable steamer in a large pot with water) for 2 1/2 hours (covered), then we uncovered them and steamed for another 1/2 hour. When they are done the masa will start to pull away from the corn husk wrapping. At this point you can eat them fresh or freeze them! Enjoy!