Thursday, September 4, 2014

Blue and Blackberry Ginger Pie

This last weekend we had a very social but somehow still relaxing weekend.  We rode our bikes to the Skidmore Bluffs and had a very nice picnic and played many rounds of rummy until the sun set.  On another night we attended our friend's 5 year wedding anniversary potluck party, for this I actually baked a pie!  As you have seen in the past I don't really bake nor do I like to, but pies are my one exception.  I like making pie and I'm actually good at it.  I only very slightly adapted this recipe because if I were to improvise much at all I would end up with a mess, baking is just a little too precise for me.  I used fresh blueberries and blackberries from my mother's yard, I also used her kitchen and moral support to make sure the pie turned out perfect and it did.  Enjoy!

Serves 8

The Ingredients
 
For the Crust:
2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1 Cup cold, unsalted butter diced
4 Tbsp. ice water
 
For the Filling:
4 Cups  blackberries fresh or frozen
4 Cups blueberries fresh or frozen
1 Tbsp small tapioca
3/4 Cup granulated sugar
1/3 Cup all purpose flour
2 Tbsp crystallized ginger diced finely
1 Tbsp lemon zest
2 Tbsp unsalted butter diced
1 egg beaten (for washing the crust)
 
The Process
 
Prepare the crust:
  1. In the bowl combine the flour, butter and salt. Pulse until combined and the mixture looks like coarse meal.
  2. Slowly add the ice water and mix until just combined. Dump mixture out on to work surface (will be crumbly) and mix until incorporated.
  3. Divide in half, press into flat circles and wrap individually in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 30 minutes while you prepare the filling.
Prepare the filling:
  1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Combine the berries and all remaining ingredients except the butter and egg in a large mixing bowl. Set aside.
  2. Roll out dough on a floured work surface in two large rounds. Line a 9" deep dish pie plate with one. Cut 8, 1" strips from the other round. Re-rolling if necessary. Pour filling into the bottom crust, dot with the diced butter, and top with four strips of crust, weave into a lattice or use a fun cookie cutter and make designs in the top, just be creative! Brush top with the beaten egg. Place on a rimmed baking sheet.
  3. Bake at 425 for 20 minutes, then lower heat to 375 for the remaining 40 minutes, or until the juices bubble and the crust turns golden brown.
  4. Remove from oven and let cool before slicing.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment