- In the bowl combine the flour, butter and salt. Pulse until combined and the mixture looks like coarse meal.
- Slowly add the ice water and mix until just combined. Dump mixture out on to work surface (will be crumbly) and mix until incorporated.
- Divide in half, press into flat circles and wrap individually in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 30 minutes while you prepare the filling.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Combine the berries and all remaining ingredients except the butter and egg in a large mixing bowl. Set aside.
- Roll out dough on a floured work surface in two large rounds. Line a 9" deep dish pie plate with one. Cut 8, 1" strips from the other round. Re-rolling if necessary. Pour filling into the bottom crust, dot with the diced butter, and top with four strips of crust, weave into a lattice or use a fun cookie cutter and make designs in the top, just be creative! Brush top with the beaten egg. Place on a rimmed baking sheet.
- Bake at 425 for 20 minutes, then lower heat to 375 for the remaining 40 minutes, or until the juices bubble and the crust turns golden brown.
- Remove from oven and let cool before slicing.