Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Mushroom and Beef Chili

I finally got to make my chili...I almost lost it on Monday evening because as I mentioned in my last blog post my oven hasn't been working for 2 1/2 weeks and then I arrived home Monday night and my stove was out of commission too.  With all my chili ingredients in hand to make a fabulous and hearty chili I read the note my landlord left saying sorry he will fix the whole appliance as soon as he can.  All I could think was my day was lame (as it was a Monday), I am starving, and great thanks for being so vague.  After I accepted I wasn't going to be able to make chili I reluctantly sauntered down to Subway because I had no more energy or patience to feed myself any other way, and no it was not satisfying.  Tuesday morning I woke up happy and ready for the day and to my surprise when I got home after a grueling workout my stove and oven were fixed!!  So as you can imagine I made my special mushroom and beef chili recipe.  I know we all deal with lots of dumb things everyday but when it comes down to it cooking makes me forget it all.  Enjoy!


Serves 4

The Ingredients

2 tablespoons olive oil

1 yellow onion, finely chopped

1 small can of diced green chilies

2 cups crimini mushrooms, quartered

1/8 cup chili powder

1/2 tablespoon ground cumin

1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper

1 teaspoon salt, divided

4 garlic cloves, minced

1 cup broth (I used vegetable)

1 pound ground beef (85-90% lean)

1 (15-ounce) can pinto beans, drained and rinsed

16 ounces fresh tomatoes, chopped

1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste

2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce

2 tablespoons honey

1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar


The Process
1. Heat the oil in a large Dutch oven over medium heat until it is shimmering. Add the onions, chili powder, cumin, cayenne and ½ teaspoon of the salt. Cook until the onions have softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in the garlic and cook for another 30 seconds.

2. Add the beef and increase the heat to medium-high. Cook, breaking up the beef with a wooden spoon, until no longer pink, about 7 minutes. Stir in the beans, diced tomatoes (with their juice), tomato paste, green chilies, mushrooms, Worcestershire, honey, vinegar, broth, and the remaining ½ teaspoon salt. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat so it maintains a slow simmer, cover and cook for 15 minutes.

3. Remove the lid and continue to simmer for an additional 15 minutes. Season with additional salt and pepper to taste before serving. Garnish with shredded cheddar cheese and chips, if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment