Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Creamy Chicken Piccata

This is the first Primal meal I made in the new year and while dairy and potatoes are allowed with the Primal diet I am sure that I am taking advantage and using them a little too much, but that won't stop me!  I mentioned in the last post that I take January off of drinking, meaning I don't have my almost nightly couple glasses of red wine.  Here is a NPR article that specifically outlines the benefits of going dry for a month, although we all know moderation is key ;)  I'm extremely excited because this Friday I have my first volunteer meeting with The Portland Kitchen, can't wait to start dedicating my time to such a wonderful organization.  Another random tid-bit of information, I am really curious about making my own kombucha and want to start learning the process.  It is a drink I enjoy so much and don't want to pay the expensive price for it in the store, anyone out there have experience or advice?  I adapted this recipe and paired it with ricotta mashed potatoes and a side salad, enjoy!

Serves 4

The Ingredients

4 boneless skinless chicken breasts or thighs, pounded to 1/4-1/2 inch thickness

3/4 cup almond flour

1 egg, beaten

4 Tbsp bacon fat, separated

3 Tbsp avocado oil, or lard

1/3 cup capers

1/2 cup milk

1 tsp arrowroot powder

1/3 cup fresh lemon juice

1/3 cup capers

salt and pepper to taste


The Process

1.  Heat 3 Tbsp bacon fat and the oil in a skillet on medium heat. Dip the chicken into the egg, then into a bowl with the almond flour. Coat the chicken on both sides.

2.  Place the chicken gently into the oil and cook for about three minutes on both sides. If they are getting too dark before cooked through, turn down the heat a bit. After it is done, move the chicken to a plate and set aside.

3.  With the remaining pan juices, add the remaining bacon fat to the skillet. In a small bowl, whisk the milk with the arrowroot powder. Pour the mixture into the skillet along with the lemon juice and capers. Allow the sauce to come to a simmer and thicken for several minutes. Season with salt and pepper.


4.  Pour the sauce over your crispy chicken and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment