Thursday, January 22, 2015

Pan Seared Chicken with Balsamic Cream Sauce

I am so excited because this weekend we are going to Silver Falls and staying in a lodge with 4 of our friends.  Silver Falls is an amazing and beautiful state park that has a ton of wild life and hiking trails.  There is also the Trail of Ten Falls which I've never hiked and really want to because who doesn't love waterfalls?  As I mentioned last post the cooking situation is not so easy, I think I have come to the conclusion that I am going to make this recipe of Pizza Chili and then just reheat it on the wood stove for dinner.  Today is my Friday and I couldn't be happier, I have been exhausted all week and am ready to relax.  Although tonight I am going to The Portland Kitchen class and meeting staff, kids, and will talk more about what I will be doing as a volunteer.  Onto the recipe, I adapted this recipe and it was so freaking delicious I want to make it again tonight!

Serves 4

The Ingredients

1 1⁄2 lbs chicken breasts, boneless, skinless

1 medium yellow onion, sliced into thin rings and separated

1 lb mushroom, cremini mushrooms, quartered

1⁄2 cup chicken broth

1 cup half-n-half

3 tablespoons avocado oil

3 tablespoons butter

1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, shaved

3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar

salt & pepper

1 pinch red pepper flakes (optional)



The Process

1.  Season the chicken with salt and pepper and let rest.

2.  In a small skillet, saute onions in the butter until they are golden brown (carmelized).

3.  In a larger skillet with tall sides, heat avocado oil and brown the chicken on both sides, but do not cook through. Remove chicken from the pan and set aside.

4.  While the pan is still hot, deglaze with the chicken broth, and use a whisk or spatula to loosen all the browned bits.

5.  Add the half-n-half and the balsamic vinegar to the chicken broth. Add salt and pepper to taste and red pepper flakes (if desired) Whisk through.

6.  Add the mushrooms to the cream sauce and simmer for 10 minutes. Add onions into the sauce.
Place the chicken back into the pan with the sauces, increase heat to medium and saute until chicken is fully cooked and juices run clear.

7.  Remove chicken and add the Parmesan cheese to the sauce. Stir until melted through the sauce.

Plate the chicken and top with sauce.

1 comment:

  1. I am making the chicken this weekend. Sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete