Thursday, February 19, 2015

Seared Steak with Goat Cheese Shallot Spread

Yesterday we lost an amazing human being, Jerome Kersey died at the age of 52.  Not only was he an amazing Trailblazer but he was one of the hardest working NBA players in history.  To continue with the Trailblazer news we also lost 3 great players today in a trade, Thomas Robinson, Will Barton, and Victor Claver.  Some people say that it is a good trade because we are gaining Arron Afflalo but I get attached to my Blazers and never like to see them leave.  And to top it off yesterday would have been my grandpa's 92nd birthday, rough week for sure.  When I'm down I usually go to cooking for comfort so I adapted this recipe and made this delicious meal last night.  I paired the steak with roasted asparagus and chioggia beets from our garden (pictured below), and yes we just harvested the beets this week.  Gotta love winter gardening!  Some good news in the food world is that this upcoming month of March is Portland Dining Month.  If you haven't participated in this you must, for the entire month a large number of restaurants offer a 3-course dinner for $29.  Many of the restaurants give you choices and vegetarian options and not all of them have a dessert for the 3rd course.  I currently have my top 5 choices and need to narrow them down to 1.  My top 5 are: Clyde Common, Levant, Old Salt Marketplace, Racion, and Clark Lewis.  These choices are based of the food and options and I personally don't care for dessert so most of these don't include desserts.  This goat cheese shallot spread is so so so good I will probably be making it in large batches and spreading it all over everything I eat from now on.  Enjoy!

Serves 2

The Ingredients

4 oz goat cheese
2 teaspoons red-wine vinegar, (I used Merlot red-wine vinegar)
1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
1 tablespoon minced shallot
2 teaspoons minced fresh parsley
1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 5oz petite sirloins
2 tablespoons butter
salt and pepper


The Process

1.  Place cheese in a medium bowl and mash it with the back of a spoon until creamy. Add vinegar, dry mustard, shallot, parsley, 1/8 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper; whisk to combine. Slowly drizzle in 2 teaspoons oil and whisk until blended.

2.  Salt and pepper the steaks.

3.  In a frying pan melt butter over medium-high heat.  When hot add steaks and sear them about 3 minutes each side for a rare piece of meat.  Add more time if you prefer your meat to be more cooked.

4.  Let steak rest for 5 minutes and then either slice them both up or serve whole with goat cheese and shallot spread.

No comments:

Post a Comment