Thursday, March 19, 2015

Seared Steak with Roasted Cabbage Rounds and Spicy Lime Dressing

The end of my week is here again and much to my delight tonight I am going to The Old Gold with a friend.  This is a wonderful, relaxed neighborhood bar with tasty foods and an amazing selection of Whiskey.  My favorite foods there are their bahn mi and kale salad and they serve whiskey with pickle backs, yum!  And on Sunday (if the plans don't fall through) we are heading out mushroom hunting with our friends, specifically hunting morels which are my favorite.  I haven't ever been mushroom hunting because my lack of knowledge and not a ton of people in my life have this knowledge either.  I hope we come back with tons of them!!!  Onto the food.  I'm not going to beat around the bush, the star in this meal were the cabbage rounds all the way.  I love simple seared petite sirloins (recipe found here, follow step #3) but I must always have something exciting and different happening on my plate, and what better way to use up leftover cabbage from St. Patty's day but by roasting it!  I adapted this recipe because I don't have a gas grill I can use year round.  Enjoy.

Serves 4

The Ingredients
1 8oz petite sirloin
1 tablespoon butter
Juice of 2 limes (about 1/4 cup)
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon fish sauce
3 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
1/4 cup cilantro leaves
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cayenne
1/4 teaspoon sugar
1 head green cabbage
Olive oil
Salt and pepper


The Process
1.  Cook steak according to the directions linked above.

2.  In the mean time heat oven to 425 degrees.  Cut cabbage into steak rounds and leave the core in the cabbage (it holds the rounds together).  Drizzle with olive oil and salt and pepper.

3.  When oven is hot place the cabbage rounds on a greased sheet pan and place in oven.  Cook for 7 minutes.  Take out and flip the cabbage rounds and cook for 7 more minutes.

4.  While cabbage is cooking whiz the limes, 1/4 cup olive oil, fish sauce, garlic, cilantro, salt, cayenne and sugar in a small chopper or blender until the sauce is pale orange or green and the garlic is pulverized.

5.  Serve with spicy lime dressing drizzled over the cabbage rounds.

No comments:

Post a Comment