Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Spicy Meatballs in Tomato Cream Sauce with Asparagus Caesar Salad

Last weekend it was so nice outside that we went to Sauvie's Island and hung out with friends and bar-b-qued.  Sunday we were going to get some gardening done but Spring cleaning our house was the major priority, while it was exhausting it feels amazing to have such a clean house!  Also it has been so nice in PDX that yesterday I walked out of the gym wearing a tank top, it was 72 degrees, unreal but I like it.  Tonight I am excited to go see my older brother do some improv at Kickstand Comedy, he is part of a duo that I have heard awesome things about and have yet to see.  In other news this weekend my boyfriend and I are headed to Eugene, OR to visit friends and family.  His parents also want to bring us out for dinner to celebrate his 33rd birthday (last week), can't wait to see where they take us :)  As always I love visiting Eugene, so many college memories.  Also a random fact, did you know that Caesar salad originated in Mexico?  The more you know!

The spicy meatballs recipe in creamy tomato sauce can be found here on one of my previous posts. But to make it spicy substitute 1 1/2 pounds of chicken for 1/2 pound ground beef and 1/2 pound hot Italian sausage.  In addition you don't need the extra cheese that goes on top of the original chicken Parmesan meatballs.  I adapted this recipe for the salad dressing.

Serves 4

The Ingredients
1 bunch of asparagus, ends snapped off
1/2 cup plain yogurt (I used Nancy's lowfat)
1/2 cup freshly-grated Parmesan cheese
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
2 teaspoons anchovy paste
2 teaspoons worcestershire sauce
1 clove garlic, pressed or minced
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
pinch of black pepper
3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice


The Process
1.  Make an ice bath to put asparagus in after you blanch them.

2.  Heat up frying pan over medium-high heat, when hot add asparagus.  Then add 1/2 cup water and cover for 1 minute.  This steams the asparagus slightly.  After a minute put the asparagus into the ice bath, let sit for 5 minutes.

3.  In the meantime mix all the other ingredients together in a bowl, mix thoroughly.

4.  Drain asparagus and roughly chop (into thirds).  Then add some of the dressing to the asparagus and mix, add to taste.  You will definitely have leftover dressing.  I then put the salad in the fridge and let it marinate while I cooked the meatballs.

No comments:

Post a Comment