Friday, July 10, 2015
Chicken with Sun-Dried Tomato Cream Sauce
Oregon just got funded $3.3 million to use for farm to school programs!!! This is such great news because those programs are invaluable to our youth. In other food related news how do you view fat in your diet? Here is an article about how the federal government has skewed the public's view on dietary fat. I personally eat lots of fat which I'm sure you can tell with all the recipes I make. I'm so so happy it is Friday because it has been a long week. Last night we had a friend and his daughter visit from out of town and it was wonderful seeing them so I decided to make a delicious meal for them. I adapted this recipe and served it with a fresh salad.
8 bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes, or more, to taste
1 cup chicken broth
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/3 cup julienned sun dried tomatoes in olive oil, drained
1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon dried basil
1/4 cup basil leaves, chiffonade
Ricotta and fresh tomatoes to top it with (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
2. Season chicken thighs with salt and pepper, to taste.
3. Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a large oven-proof skillet over medium high heat. Add chicken, skin-side down, and sear both sides until golden brown, about 2-3 minutes per side; set aside.
4. Melt remaining tablespoon butter in the skillet. Add garlic and red pepper flakes, and cook, stirring frequently, until fragrant, about 1-2 minutes. Stir in chicken broth, heavy cream, sun dried tomatoes, Parmesan, thyme, oregano and basil. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer until slightly thickened, about 3-5 minutes. Return chicken to the skillet.
5. Place into oven and roast until completely cooked through, reaching an internal temperature of 175 degrees F, about 25-30 minutes.
6. Serve immediately, garnished with basil, ricotta, and fresh tomatoes if desired.