Monday, October 4, 2010

Mediterranean Wheat Berry Salad

This is me really trying to revive my cooking blog.  So I had made this salad a while back, perhaps even before the blog existed.  And I made it once again last week, needless to say I forgot how amazing and healthy it is.  I found it tastes best fresh, but the day after is fine as well.  All the fresh herbs can get a little soggy even though their flavor becomes stronger with time.  Many life changes recently but now I'm getting back on track and hopefully will keep up the blogging, because I love it.

Adapted from Sunset:

Serves 5

Ingredients
2 cups uncooked wheat berries
7 cups water
1 jar (6oz) marinated artichoke hearts
6 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon dried oregano
2 roma tomatoes, diced
1 cucumber, peeled and chopped
3/4 cup green onions, thinly sliced
1 cup feta, crumbled
1/3 cup calamata olives, pitted and sliced
1/3 cup fresh mint leaves, chopped
1/4 italian parsley, chopped
Salt and pepper to taste.

The Process
1.  First bring to boil the wheat berries and water, then simmer and cook until done, about 1 hour, then strain.

2.  While wheat berries are cooling, combine all ingredients in one large bowl.

3. Add wheat berries, mix thoroughly, and add salt and pepper to taste.

There is a lot of chopping involved and the wheat berries take a while to cook, but besides that it is a fresh easy meal.

Nutritional info: cal:207, protein:5.4g, fat:9g, fiber:4.8g
Picture from: http://www.purelyamerican.com/images/PH%20OrganicWheatBerries.jpg

1 comment: