Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Pimento Cheese Spread

Alright as I have warned you in the past, there will be some fat kid recipes on my blog, because I mean truly who isn't one at heart....I mean seriously.  So here we go.  This is inspired by Russell Street BBQ, every so often...well more often than not my wonderful friend Rebecca (who has an amazing food blog too) and I go to Russell Street BBQ to grab a drink and their oh so awesome pimento cheese spread.  Now the other day we had one of our rendezvous after a shitty monday at work, and we got our typical drinks and we about to order the pimento cheese spread....but no they were all out.  Before I almost lost my shit we decided on the Frito chili pie, while it was good I still had to have two cocktails to make up for it.  So since then I have been craving the pimento cheese goodness like no other and I decided to make it, knowing of coarse that it wouldn't be as good as Russell St. and guess what I was right....but still this version was pretty damn good.  So make this and get fat and be happy:)

From Paula Deen
makes 3 cups (i.e. more than enough)

Ingredients
3 oz cream cheese, room temperature
1 cup sharp cheddar, grated
1 cup monterey jack, grated
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/2 teaspoon House seasoning (recipe follows)
3 tablespoons pimentos, diced
2 teaspoons grated onion

The Process
1. Mix together cream cheese, cheddar, monterey jack, mayo, pimentos, grated onion, and house seasoning. 

2.  Serve on mini garlic toasts.

House Seasoning:
1/2 cup salt
1/8 cup black pepper
1/8 cup garlic powder
mix well


I will say that it is a pretty salty recipe even for my likings (and i love salt), so be weary. 

1 comment:

  1. here's my family recipe i didn't get to share with you (it makes a LOT)
    1.5 lb mix of cheese - i just use super sharp cheddar
    1 4 oz jar of pimentos
    garlic, to taste
    1 pickle (like the big kind, so 2 or 3 of yo mama's)
    mayo, salt, and pepper to taste

    cut the cheese into chunks. process pickle and garlic in food processor until pulpy. add in cheese and pulse until the cheese is in little pieces, but you don't want a paste. add in mayo to taste - i usually use MUCH less than paula deen - maybe like 1/4 cup at most. fold in pimentos and then taste for salt and pepper. usually the cheese is more than salty enough so i just add black pepper and maybe some cayenne. i am old school and believe that pimento cheese is best between two soft pieces of homemade white bread OR on celery.

    and frito pie...ugh i want.

    ReplyDelete