Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Marinated Eggplant

I love eggplant and one of the rad things about eggplant is it acts like a potato and meat.  Its like a potato because it doesn't have tons of flavor to begin with but loves to absorb flavor that seasons it.  Its like meat because its chewy and hardy, the way I like things to be.  It is not often that I buy eggplant because its not the cheapest and it doesn't have amazing amounts of nutrition like the green leafy vegetables I usually eat.....But I have been trying to branch out in my grocery shopping.  It is SO easy to just get in a routine and habitually buy the same food all the time.  Don't get me wrong I always buy cheese and bread...and coffee..and....and exactly my point, so with this need for change and creativity in cooking I bought an eggplant (I totally feel pathetic narrating my inner "lame" thoughts but hey whats a blog? exactly that).  Anyways while my friend so honestly said "wow that looks like poop" it does, eggplant marinating in brown liquids....not so attractive but it tastes sooo good, not like poop.

Adapted from Amateur Gastronomer
Serves 3 (as a side salad or appetizer)

The Ingredients
1 medium to large eggplant, chopped into large bite size chunks
5 tablespoons soy sauce
3 1/2 tablespoons rice vinegar
2 tablespoons mirin
1 teaspoon sesame oil
1 inch chunk of fresh ginger, chopped coarsely
black sesame seeds (as garnish, optional)

The Process
1. After chopping eggplant, steam for 6 minutes, or until slightly soft

2.  In medium bowl mix soy sauce, rice vinegar, mirin, sesame oil, and ginger.

3.  Add eggplant to mixture and stir.  Cover and marinate in fridge for at least 24 hours. (the longer it marinates the better it tastes.

4.  Serve with garnish of black sesame seeds.

No comments:

Post a Comment