Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Elk Meatballs

This was the first meal I made during my lovely stay at Manzinita beach on the Oregon coast.  There was a crew of 13 adults and 3 kiddies involved in this trip, all family and mostly women.  Since women love to "be the boss" and the fact that there were four sisters at this lovely beach stay, I decided I was going to cook.  Cook so that I could contribute, so I could enjoy my time, and cook to stay the efffff out of their way;)  They are all lovely family members but of course you don't want to get stuck in the middle of anything, so the kitchen was my sanctuary.  We had a BUNCH of elk that my Grandpa and Uncle brought from hunting, and oh man they brought TONS....so I figured um meatballs?! Yes!  So here is the recipe that was accompanied by pasta, dank sauce, and a great salad.

Serves 13 but lets just make it for 6 with this recipe
Oh and I forgot to take a picture...but we all know what meatballs look like

The Ingredients
2lbs ground elk
1/2 yellow onion, finely chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
1/3 cup gruyere cheese, shredded
1/4 cup Italian bread crumbs
1/4 cup fresh Italian parsley, finely chopped
1 egg
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
Spray olive oil

The Process
1.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a large cookie sheet with a rim.

2.  In large mixing bowl mix together all of the ingredients (besides the spray oil), and mix thoroughly.


3.  Then take about a tablespoon (perhaps a little bigger) of mixture in hand and roll into a ball and place it on a large greased cookie sheet.  Note if the meatballs are not sticking together use more egg.

4.  Put in oven and cook for about 15-20 minutes or until the meatballs are cooked through (no pink).

Serve with a wonderful marinara sauce! Also these meatballs are pretty darn healthy because elk is such a naturally lean meat.

No comments:

Post a Comment