Thursday, April 2, 2015

Asparagus Onion Ring Salad

I have officially started my accounting class and it is already hard, hopefully once I get the fundamentals down it will become easier.  I have my homework and test due on Sunday so my scores will really prove to me how I am doing so far...it's also weird being back in school again after 4 years.  Unfortunately I have to work tomorrow which is not the norm, but I am looking forward to spending the evening with my good friend Dana.  We are going to dinner at Fish Sauce and it is sooooo tasty!  Their bahn mi is really good but I am trying to stay away from gluten and I will definitely have to try their kimchi.  I will also add that their cocktails are super delicious, they use drinking vinegar in some of them which adds the perfect touch.  I have tried the Renegade and the Elephant Parade (my favorite).  I also got our sweet Walla Walla onion starts planted the other evening and it seems to have been perfect timing because we are having the crazy bi-polar Spring weather here in Portland, lots of rain and lots of sunshine.  I adapted these two recipes to come up with this delicious salad, and it was a very filling main course which is always a plus.  Enjoy!

Serves 2

The Ingredients
For Salad:
1 bunch asparagus, trimmed
2 tablespoons olive oil
Salt and pepper, to taste
1 1/2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
4 tablespoons feta cheese
3 tablespoons bacon bits
4 tablespoons Champagne salad dressing (or whatever you prefer)


For Onion Rings:
1 medium to large sweet onion, sliced into 1/4" rings
2 eggs
4 Tablespoons half-n-half
1/2 cup almond flour
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon paprika (or enough to give color to the almond flour coating)
Salt, to taste
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Olive oil


The Process
1.  Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Line a baking sheet with foil and brush lightly with about 1 tablespoon of olive oil.  In a small bowl, beat egg and half and half together; season with salt and pepper to taste; add onion rings to the egg mixture, toss and let sit to soak while you make the coating/breading.

2.  In a shallow bowl or plate, mix almond flour, salt and pepper to taste, onion powder, paprika and mix well with a whisk to remove any lumps.


3.  Take onion rings out, one or two at a time and place in the flour mixture, pressing and turning over with a fork until well coated on both sides.  Place on lightly oiled foil covered baking sheet in a single layer, not touching each other.

4.  On the same baking sheet place asparagus and drizzle with olive oil. Lightly toss to ensure that every piece is covered. Sprinkle on salt and pepper.

5.  Bake for 15-18 minutes, turning each halfway through.  Remove from oven.  Layer asparagus, feta, bacon bits, and tomatoes on a plate.  Drizzle salad dressing over asparagus salad.  Top with onion rings and serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment