Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Arabic Meatball Soup with Spinach and Lime

Even in the midst of this crazy busy work month I will make sure to still find time to cook and blog about it.  That said today has already been so chaotic I hope I can find some time to figure out what to make for dinner tonight.  Food is almost always on my mind, whether I'm reading about it, writing about it, researching it, watching it, or cooking it.  You could say that food is my passion or obsession and it is definitely my creative outlet.  This weekend will be a blast, lots of fun plans and it is Easter.  I love Easter because it means another family gathering with the people I love and lots of good food.  This year I am in charge of some sort of potato dish, we have a family recipe for this one potato dish that is so so good I might just make it, but I do want to do some research and maybe try something new.  This recipe that I adapted is delicious although I think it would have been better if I used some beef too.  Turkey just doesn't have much fat and I think the simple broth could have used some depth from meat that was just a little more fatty.  That being said this soup is super healthy and only about 315 calories per serving.  Enjoy!

Serves 4

Ingredients
Meatballs (makes 20- 24):
1 lb ground turkey
1 small onion- diced
4 garlic cloves- minced
⅓ C fresh mint leaves or 2 tsp dried
1  teaspoon ground turmeric
¾  teaspoon kosher salt
¾  teaspoon cracked pepper
1 teaspoon olive oil

Broth:
10 cups vegetable broth
1 small onion- finely diced
1-2 tablespoons olive oil
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp ground turmeric
1 lime
2-3 C finely shredded spinach
½ C chopped fresh cilantro
½ C chopped scallions
Kosher Salt and Pepper to taste


The Process
1. For the meat: in a food processor add the garlic onion and mint, and pulse until finely ground. Add ground meat, spices, salt and olive oil and process, scraping down sides several times, until all fully incorporated into a paste like consistency. Place in the fridge for 15-20 minutes.

2.  For the broth: in a large heavy bottom pot, sauté onion in olive oil over medium heat, stirring until tender and translucent, about 5-6 minutes. Turn heat to medium low, add garlic and sauté 2-3 minutes. Add turmeric and pepper , sauté 2 more minutes. Add vegetable broth and bring to a boil. Turn heat down and simmer gently for 10 minutes. Salt to taste.

3.  Prep spinach, cilantro and scallions.

4.  Using wet hands, form walnut sized meatballs ( 1 to 1 ½  inches in diameter) and set aside on a platter. You should end up with 20 to 24 small meatballs.

5.  Bring broth back to a vigorous boil and gently drop meatballs into the pot,  a few at a time, stirring gently. Turn heat down so soup is simmering gently ( medium or medium low heat). Simmer for 12 minutes, stirring once or twice, and skimming any impurities that rise to the surface. Meatballs will start to rise when done. After 12 minutes, add the spinach and cook for 2 minutes ( a little longer for kale). Add ½ of the scallions and ½ the cilantro and squeeze the lime.



6.  Serve in bowls and garnish with fresh cilantro and scallions. Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment