Thursday, April 23, 2015

Pork Fajitas

For those of you who do accounting out there I commend you.  This accounting class that I am taking has so many layers of rules and complicated equations, it is really testing my brain and is getting the best of me.  Hopefully in the end I will understand it and will be able to do the accounting for my company, but right now I'm feeling a little discouraged.  I could just be tired too because today marks my 11th day in a row of working.  I had to work all the extra hours to get that large project I was talking about done.  I am so thankful that I have a 3 day weekend and am going to Eugene, I need the break.  Not to continue on this semi-negative tone but the Portland house buying market is getting so so scary.  I heard from a friend that her brother was out-bid by someone who offered $105,000 over asking price...that is just insane!  And all these investors from California and New York are coming in with all cash, which of course what seller doesn't want cash up front?  Here are two depressing articles that explain how Portland is changing in bad ways so that average people can't afford to live here anymore:
How Cash Sent the Portland Home Market Spinning

Ok I know enough with the negative stuff, let's focus on things we like.  I recently heard about this amazing radio station called Heritage Radio Network, here is how they describe themselves: "HeritageRadioNetwork.org is committed to archiving, protecting, and advancing our country's rich food culture through programs that give voice to America's leading food professionals, farmers, policy experts, artists, and tastemakers."  If that doesn't entice you I don't know what will.  Another thing I like is fajitas, so enjoy! Made by yours truly. 

Serves 3

The Ingredients
For cooking the meat:
1 tablespoon bacon fat 
2 tablespoons lime juice 
1 tsp cumin 
1 tsp chili powder 
1 tsp onion powder 
1 1/2 tablespoon worcestershire 
1 clove garlic, minced 
1 lb pork, cut into bite size strips

For cooking the veggies:
1 tablespoon bacon fat
1 onion, halved and sliced  
1 yellow bell pepper, sliced into strips
1 tablespoon worcestershire 
1 tsp cumin 
1 tsp chili powder 
1 tsp red pepper flakes

Half a tomato, chopped to put on fresh at the end
Corn tortillas


The Process
1. Heat a large skillet over high heat. Add in 2 tablespoons of olive oil, let heat for a minute, and then add in your onion, bell pepper, and worestershire. Season with salt. Sautee until the vegetables are  tender crisp (7-10 minutes). During the last few minutes of cooking, add in your cumin, chili powder, and red pepper flakes. Remove the vegetables from the pan and set aside.

2. Return the skillet to high heat. Add your pork, garlic, and all the seasonings including lime juice.  Cook your pork in it for about 5 minutes.  

3.  Add veggies back to pan with pork and cook for another 2 minutes and mix it all together.

4.  Serve in corn tortillas and top with fresh chopped tomatoes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment