Wednesday, May 19, 2010
Breakfast Casserole with Turkey Bacon
This recipe intrigued me the minute I found it. Not only does it contain some of my favorite breakfast foods, but it is healthy! I normally don't eat heavy breakfasts unless I go out to eat or it is a brunch. But once again this was up in Hood River when my mission was to make sure my grandparents were well fed, so here it is:)
Serves 4 (it's deceiving)
Adapted from Cooking Light
6 turkey bacon slices
1 cup red onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 (30 ounce) package frozen shredded hash brown potatoes
1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, grated
1/2 cup green onions, chopped
1/2 cup fat-free sour cream
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 (10ish ounce) can of condensed 98% fat free cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
1. Spray cooking oil in large skillet and turn to medium heat, add turkey bacon and cook till crisp. Take turkey bacon out of pan and set aside.
2. In same pan add red onion and garlic and cook for 5 minutes, stirring often. (Add more cooking spray when needed throughout cooking process).
3. Then add potatoes to skillet and cover and cook for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4. Preheat oven to 350F, and spray 11 x 7 cooking dish with cooking oil.
5. In a big bowl combine crumbled turkey bacon, 1/2 cup sharp cheese, green onions, sour cream, salt, pepper, and soup and mix well.
6. When potatoes are done add them to large bowl with mixture from above, mix well but gingerly.
7. Put potato mixture into cooking dish and sprinkle the last 1/2 cup sharp cheese over the top.
8. Cover dish with tin foil and bake for 30 minutes. Remove tin foil and bake for another 30 minutes until slightly crispy and brown on top.
It was really really tasty! Not to mention it kept me going all morning. Here are some nutritional facts:
Calories:293, Fat:10g, Sat Fat:4.8g, Carbs:41g, Protein:12.2g, Fiber:4.7g
So you can see for such a delicious breakfast casserole it is pretty darn healthy
Picture from: http://www.cookinglight.com/food/top-rated-recipes/five-star-casseroles-00400000039138/page7.html