Tuesday, May 11, 2010

White Bean and Chicken Enchiladas

So for cinco de mayo I always love to cook for the occasion.  I also always seem to end up making fish tacos...so I decided this year I wanted to switch it up and have an extra healthy version of cinco de mayo.  This month of may I have been trying extra hard to eat very healthy while working out a ton because may 27th I am going to Hawaii with my wonderful boyfriend.  I am excited because we are attending a wedding and creating havoc outdoors.  I will not be sun tanning (waste of time) but I will definitely be swimming and yes it would be nice to at least look good in a bikini especially when I know that the minute my white skin is exposed people will be blinded....but that is a fact about myself that I accepted a long time ago.  Anyways hence the extra healthy recipes....so here we go

Serves 4 (2 enchiladas each)
Adapted from Cooking Light (but I definitely changed it quite a bit:)

The Ingredients
2 tablespoons fat-free sour cream
1 (15ouce) can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
1 cup shredded pepper jack and sharp cheddar cheese
2 tablespoons canned and chopped green chiles
2 tablespoons sliced green onions
1 1/2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 (10ounce) can enchilada sauce
1/4 cup water
8 (6-inch) yellow corn tortillas
1 small roast chicken, shredded
Cooking spray
Salt and pepper to taste
Tapatio (optional)

The Process
1.  Shred all chicken and set aside.

2.  In a food processor combine: sour cream, white beans, 1/2 cup cheese, chiles, onions, cilantro, cumin, and salt and pepper to taste.

3.  In a medium skillet combine 1/3 cup enchilada sauce and 1/4 cup water. Turn to medium-low heat.  Dip tortilla in the sauce mixture to soften then set aside on a plate; do this with all tortillas.

4.  Preheat oven to 350F degrees and spray cooking spray in large glass baking dish.

5.  Begin assembling enchiladas place one tortilla in pan add about 3 tablespoons bean mixture down center of tortilla followed by a small handful of shredded chicken.  Roll up tortilla and place seam side down in pan. Repeat with the other 7 tortillas.

6.  Once all 8 enchiladas are lined up in the dish pour rest of enchilada sauce from can over the top and sprinkle the rest of cheese over the top too!

7.  When oven is preheated put enchiladas in oven for 30 minutes or until bubbly.  I also broil them for a minute or two to slight brown the tops.

Please enjoy!

Might I add this meal was accompanied by a wonderful Mexican salad my lovely friend erin made...together we created heaven.  Oh and I made blackjack margaritas to go along with our feast, naturally.

Here is some nutritional info (I believe these numbers are pretty accurate...but I did use real cheese not reduced fat so I upped the fat a little to compensate):
Calories:380, Fat:10g, Sat. Fat:2g, Carbs:70g, Protein:24g, Fiber:7g

Picture from: http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=224927

No comments:

Post a Comment