Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Chicken Satay

This is a dish that I absolutely love and have made several times because of it!  Also this is the dish that created a fight between an un-named boyfriend of a friend and me.  It was over the pronunciation of the dish and yes I said it backwards (satay chicken), but the point was that I was generously providing and making this dish at the time and yes he was about to consume it as well....douche bag!  And there are many other reasons why I dislike this person, but this is just one example of him being ungrateful...as usual.  Anyways I can't not think of that story every time I make it...which yes slightly ruins this most wonderful dish a little every time for me.  Anyways this time that I made the dish it was for my wonderful friend Alaina's birthday party.  The theme of the party was food on a stick potluck...so I immediately thought of my wonderful (with a slight reminder of a bastard) chicken satay, and here it is....not to mention it was a hit.

Serves 4
Adapted from Sunset Magazine

Ingredients
4 skinned and trimmed chicken breasts
1 cup soy sauce
4 tablespoons minced ginger (from a jar)
2 tablespoons rice vinegar
2 tablespoons sugar
4 teaspoons Asian red chili paste
a bag of wooden skewers (soak for 20 minutes before use)

The Process
1.  Rinse chicken breasts and pat dry.  Slice diagonally across the grain into 1/4-inch think strips.

2.  In a very large zip-lock bag, mix 1 cup water, soy sauce, ginger, rice vinegar, sugar, and Asian red chili paste, and chicken.  Let marinate for at least 3 hours and up to a day.

3.  Take meat from marinade, thread onto skewers and discard marinade.

4.  Heat oven to broil.  Spray a pan with oil and place skewers on pan.

5.  When oven is hot place skewers in oven and broil for 12 minutes or until done.

This would also work very well on the grill, but as I am not YET a grill master I cannot and will not tell you how long to leave on the grill....but I'm sure you can figure it out.  Also I made a peanut sauce with this, it follows in the next recipe. And yes this is a low fat meal...just look at the ingredients...they explain themselves.

Picture from: http://kambergerchronicles.blogspot.com/2009/01/happy-new-year-year-of-ox.html

No comments:

Post a Comment