Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Stuffed Pork Chops

So this recipe came about in Hood River visiting my grandparents.  Whenever I go visit them I insist on making them dinner for several reasons.  First my grandmother thinks that 1 Cornish game hen can feed 4 people, second they are from the Midwest so spices don't exist in their cooking world, third I really don't want to eat more of that gnarly elk my grandpa caught 2 + years ago, and fourth they love any and everything I make.  My grandmother also swears that she doesn't like garlic, so every time I cook I make sure to put a generous portion of garlic in and she doesn't even notice....funny how the brain works.  Anyways this was a delicious dish.....not bad for you but also not super healthy because my grandparents could afford to gain some weight.

Adapted from Giada
Serves 4

The Ingredients
3 cloves garlic, minced
6 sun-dried tomatoes, diced
1 (10 ounce) bag of frozen spinach, thawed and excess water squeezed out
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
1/4 cup (2 ounces) goat cheese
1/3 cup reduced-fat cream cheese
4 pork chops (from the loin on the thicker side)
1 can (8ounces) chicken broth
1/2 lemon, zested
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
Olive oil for pan

The Process
1.  Heat up olive oil in a medium skillet over medium heat.  Add garlic and cook 1 minute.

2.  To the skillet add sun-dried tomatoes, spinach, salt, pepper, and thyme.  Cook and stir for about 2 minutes.  Transfer mix to a medium bowl.


3.  In bowl with mixture add goat cheese and cream cheese, mix well and set aside.

4.  Cut pockets into the thickest part of each pork chop and season with salt and pepper.  Stuff 1/4 of cheese mixture into each pork chop and set aside.

5.  In small bowl combine chicken broth, lemon, lemon zest, and Dijon mustard, mix well.

6.  Heat up big skillet with fair amount of olive oil in it over medium-high heat.

7.  When skillet is hot add pork chops and half of the broth mixture and cover.  Cook each side for 6 minutes or until done.  When chops are flipped to other side add rest of broth mixture and cover again.

So as you can see this recipe could be on the lighter side but is still semi-healthy considering the contents.  So sit back and enjoy.  I accompanied these with roasted asparagus and a simple salad.

Picture from: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/giada-de-laurentiis/pork-chops-stuffed-with-sun-dried-tomatoes-and-spinach-recipe/index.html

1 comment:

  1. your posts make me so hungry...

    ..too bad I'm at work right now.

    Oh, snap - so are you!!!

    ReplyDelete