Thursday, November 10, 2011

Spinach and Apple Chicken

Yup you're right, I have been doing a lot of cooking...and enjoying every second of it.  This is what happens when you are saving money to be able to up and leave when that job calls and wants you!  So if you like reading about cooking and my meals you are in luck, and if you don't like me or my meals...well you can cry about it.  This recipe is a particularly healthy recipe with simple and delicious Fall produce.  What are you favorite kind of apples?  I have several including: Honey crisp, Fuji, and Galas.  Apple season is great because I love eating fresh apples, baked apple goods are awesome too but we all know I hate baking....so with this in mind I decided to create a savory apple dish based on a recipe from Health.  While it is a easy and pretty straight forward recipe I would not have thought to put apple juice in the dish, but it really tied everything together.  So on another note as part of my writing process for my blog posts I obsessively scrap the internet for any sort of brain stimulating piece of information whether it be text, photo, art, etc.  This is not only due to my A.D.D (yes diagnosed, just like 2/3's of the world) but it helps me (hopefully) not write really boring blog posts....(which I think I am currently on the edge of....so on to the recipe!)

Serves 3

The Ingredients
3, 5oz chicken breasts (skinless and boneless)
1 tablespoon olive oil
3 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 tablespoon spicy brown mustard
1/2 cup apple juice (I used organic cause it has less sugar)
1 large Honey crisp apple, cored and sliced
1 normal size bag of baby spinach

The Process
1.  Heat large skillet on stove over medium high heat, add oil.

2.  In mean time lightly salt and pepper the chicken breasts.  When oil is hot add the chicken breasts to the pan, cover and cook for 5 minutes each side, or until the chicken breasts are well browned.

3.  Then remove chicken (and juices from pan) and put on a plate and keep warm.

4.  Return the pan to the stove and add garlic, salt, pepper, mustard, apple, and apple juice.  Bring to a boil and then turn down to simmer for about 5 minutes, stirring often.

5.  Then return chicken and juices back to the pan and add the spinach.  Cook covered for about 2 more minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.

While there are several little things that I did change in this recipe the nutritional facts should be pretty darn similar to the original recipe, so here they are:

Calories: 202; Fat: 5g; Sat. Fat: 1g; Protein: 27g; Fiber: 2g





No comments:

Post a Comment