Thursday, November 3, 2011

Tomato Egg Drop Soup

Sounds different, I know but that is the exact thing that attracted me to this recipe.  Not only did I find and adapt it from Serious Eats but I love Chinese soups especially during soup and cold season!  This is a nice and healthy recipe after my last cheesy/pumpkiny fat kid recipe.  With much of my near future undetermined and ideas of what I need and what I want in terms of a job boggling my brain, I made this soup to bring some ease to my mind.  In other things that do not ease my mind, the world population... I mean seriously all I have seen lately is the celebration of what 7 billion? and the celebration of all the babies being born?  India's population alone is increasing so quickly that I can't even keep up!  Not that I am against people having children, in fact I want a couple little troublemakers of my own, but WTF this is not something to celebrate when our world can't even take care of the humans that are already alive.  I highly reccomend you watch this video that NPR put together that helps you visualize the immense increase, and then tell me how scared or disturbed you are.  Let this soup sooth you and just think about all the good foods in the world, not babies.

Serves 4

The Ingredients
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium yellow onion, thinly sliced
3/4 pound rip tomatoes, cored and chopped
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 tablespoons fish sauce
1 (1/2 pound) pork loin chop, chopped into 1in. cubes
2 cups vegetable broth
3 1/2 cups water
2 eggs, lightly beaten
4 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
3 cloves garlic, finely minced
Black pepper

The Process
1.  In large pot heat olive oil over medium-high heat.  When hot add onion and stir and cook for about 5 minutes or until soft.

2.  Then add tomatoes, garlic, and salt, stir well and cover and cook for about 5 minutes, the tomatoes will break down.  Make sure you turn the heat down if the tomatoes start stick to the pan, and make sure to stir occasionally.

3.  Next removed the cover and add the pork, cover and cook for 3 minutes.

4.  Then add fish sauce and stir well.  Next add the broth and water turn to high heat and bring pot to boil.

5.  When it reaches a boil turn down and simmer with no cover for 15 minutes.

6.  Remove from heat and stir in eggs in a wide slow circle.  Serve with fresh cilantro, and optional sriacha sauce.



No comments:

Post a Comment